Believe it or not, Western Australia has eight different climate zones. The client requested a thermally neutral home with minimum artificial heating and cooling. Our solution was simple, rammed earth with solar passive design.
• 4 Bedroom: Originally designed to accommodate the whole family, but with the ability to close off parts of the house when the kids go to boarding school, with a spare bedroom for sleepovers.
• 2 Bathrooms: With the kids only being home during the school holidays, a third bathroom was unnecessary for this client.
• Tandem Garage + Additional Workshop: Living so close to the ocean means you need a place to park your boat. The tandem garage near the house provide shelter for the family car and the boat, whilst the additional workshop stored all the family tools and toys.
• Rammed Earth Walls + Solar Passive Design: Heating and cooling costs can be very expensive if not considered during the design stage. By using thick rammed earth walls and polished concrete floors, in conjunction with solar passive design principals this home will retain the heat even in the middle of winter.
• STATUS: Completed by Robbie Donaldson Builders.